Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Paths

I had the hag - one of my oldest friends since junior high - over for dinner on Monday. It's been a long time since we've done anything just the two of us. It was nice to just talk - although I made the hilarious mistake of calling her disgusting (long story). The evening made me think back fondly to the many nights in high school spent yakking on the phone for hours, repeating the same conversations about guys - one of whom she's now with! Bitch.

Today, instead of boys and what clothes to wear on the first day of high school - we talk about marriage, mortgages, moving and mummyhood. Some of my closest friends are - or already have - in the process of transitioning into the next phase of their lives. Whether it's moving an hour drive from Toronto or to San Francisco, everyone's venturing down their own path.

I can't help but feel sad. I consider only a small handful of people to be "close friends"; people I fully trust. I find that as I get older, I become more selective about who I let completely into my life. I'm not being anti-social or a snob. Far from it! Call it experience, but I just know better now, having seen interesting energies that emenate from people; vibes I rather not absorb into my life.

But the dinner on Monday also reinforced that no matter how "busy" you become, you can always "click" and "connect" again with a good friend. So in that sense, I don't feel as sad. I know that although in the years to come, the time spent together may become less frequent - but I also know that time that is spent together will be meaningful and enriched through the different life experiences that we are about to embark on - and already embarking on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a nice post!

AV said...

When are you showing me your blog :P

Unknown said...

awww, abbie. you'll just have to invite me over for dinner more :) and not call me disgusting again. jerk. stupid jerkface. grr.

it took me one week to fully shake the effects of cat dander from my eyes.. make sure i dun put my head down on the pillows next time!

AV said...

I'm wearing a black sweater today that's covered in Harley's fur and I think I'm starting to get allergic to my own cats too. =P