Thursday, May 28, 2009

When You Look Back At It All

A colleague had her retirement party today. I will miss her, because she was a great pillar of support, wisdom and someone who genuinely welcomed me when I started three years ago. She continued a wave of retirement I've participated in during the past year - the biggest of which was my mom's shortly before my dad passed away last September.

I thoroughly enjoyed the speeches each person made, as they remembered the faces, the first encounters that made lasting impressions, and the proud achievements.

When my dad passed away and my mom retired, it made me step back and think about how I would want to look back at my life when that big day comes. I still do think that the fun is in not knowing and discovering things along the way. But if I can sum it up, this is how I'd want to look back at it all:

I satisfied my curiousities. I tried my best and never gave up. I enjoyed the peaks and grew from the valleys. I played fiercely but fairly. My life was enriched by fantastic friendships. I enriched someone's life and made a difference. I had fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

awww... my little brother is growing old... thinking about retirement already... =P hohoho