Saturday, October 25, 2008

Burning Incense at Lama Temple



The Lama Temple - aka "The Yonghe Lamasery" or "Palace of Peace and Harmony Lama Temple" - is a temple and monastery of the Geluk School of Tibetan Buddhism. It is one of the largest and most important Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in the world. The building and the artworks of the temple combine Han Chinese and Tibetan styles (thanks, Wikipedia).

After paying the 25 yuan ($5 CAN) admission, I buy three bunches of incense and proceed inside one of the halls. I wonder to myself - and I know I'm probably going to hell for thinking it - but why do people have to pay money to come inside to pray? Shouldn't it be free - or at least voluntary offering, like the Catholic Church? For all I know, the monks are probably just staff members playing dress up. For that last thought, I lament that, yup, I just gained priority access to hell.

Inside the hall, I follow the custom of taking three incense sticks and kneel on the floor. I feel self conscious so I quickly bow and get up. Outside, another opportunity presents itself - and I remind myself that there is a reason why I wanted to be here. So I take the bunch of remaining incense, burn them and try again. I kneel, close my eyes and shut out the world for a moment.

I say a prayer for happiness and good health for my family and friends. I pray for a happy resolution to Madge's divorce from Guy (I am so kidding about this; besides, she's into Kabbalah). For myself, I keep it short and simply ask one for thing: balance. I walk towards the giant incense burner, throw my bunch in, take a whiff of the fragrance and step away.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

'Priority access to hell' and 'happy divorce'; Ab, you're hilarious!!! I'm loving this on a Saturday morning.

Kim said...

"priority access to hell"...that was my best laugh today!

~m said...

i think history suggests that asking questions like, "hey, wait... is this a scam?" will get you burned at the stake. i don't think the flames last forever, though :)

AV said...

I have a really bad habit of opening my mouth at the worst possible most awkward times. :) I know there's a nice hot tub waiting for me in the afterlife. LOL.