Friday, October 24, 2008

Stairway to Heaven: The Great Wall



After hiking for an hour, we reached the base of Tower 20 - the furthest permissible point of the Great Wall of China, of our visit's section. Our legs sore, we look up and see a stomach-turning climb of stairs to the top.

Going up the steep ascent - which I dub the "Stairway to Heaven," cuz this whole Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon symbolism is really catching on with me - I think:
  • I reallyyyyy wish there are stair handles
  • My feet are really shaking
  • Don't look up - and certainly don't look behind
  • My ass is going to so firm after this
  • This is seriously breaking every North American health and safety standard
  • Am I really now crawling on all fours?
  • It'd be hysterical to see my dad - who was already paranoid of falling on flat ground - try to climb this

    But like heaven itself, when we eventually reach the top, we are rewarded with an astonishingly breathtaking and indescribable view; of mountains, of the small fraction of the Great Wall's 6,500 km we just travelled, and in the distance, Inner Mongolia. I just stand there looking left to right, right to left, left to right - again and again, and notice a girl who did the climb in her pajamas - trying to take it all in and hoping that I will never forget this moment.

    I think about the stories my Dad told to my sister and I of his visit to the Wall - a photo of which we included in his 85th birthday slideshow.

    Then I have a momentary twinge of regret. My colleague Cathy H. had given me a news clipping that spoke about things you could do in Beijing - one of them being camping overnight at the Great Wall. It would've been nice to do that - and to see the sun set and rise from the Wall. Then I look at the view in front of me again - and that regret quickly vanishes... although for those planning a future trip to Beijing, please do it, so I can live vicariously through you.

    Travel tip: While we are doing our entire trip on our own - "backpack style" - we did book a tour for the Great Wall. I recommend doing the same - simply for the convenience and knowledge of the tour guides. It's one showstopper you want to see and do right.

    Going back down the steep stairs, I think to myself: If the climb up was the stairway to heaven, this surely must be the descent into hell.



  • 5 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    you just inspired me to take a side trip to beijing when i'm in asia in december. i'm DOING it!!!! =D nice pics. the view must be really breathtaking!

    Unknown said...

    Seems like everything is going well. I'm glad you're doing the whole travel blog thing - that way I get to live vicariously through the both of you.

    Have fun, and don't forget to get me something nice! haha, just kidding!

    AV said...

    Sa: You should totally do it. You will not regret it. The blog and photos do not do the actual place any justice. You should brush up on your Mandarin though - cuz it's sooo hard getting around w/ just English.

    Jenn: There are lots of cool stores here today - and we're going to experience "modern Beijing" today and all the shopping that comes with it. We'll look for something nice for you and Mary :) Andrew got some cool stuff for your parents - but I'm not going to spoil what it is. I'll leave that to Andrew ;)

    Unknown said...

    hmmm note to myself, sleep over at the Great Wall! :)

    I don't know about others, but I personally loooove 'climbing' things! It's hard as f#$@@ but it's quite a work out to go up things the way people did back in the day.. plus the great view from the top definitely makes it worth it! I'm so happy for you, Ab, it's so exciting!!!

    AV said...

    Thanks Rita. I actually thought about people like you and Todd - who would get a real enjoyment out of doing something like that. Do it! Do it! I want pictures :)