Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fear Factor at Donghuamen Night Market



At the Donghuamen Night Market, a popular tourist attraction in the Wangfuijing District, deep fried silk worm larvae (pictured above), centipede, beetle, snake, sea horse, and star fish are just some of the local delicacies you can enjoy.

I was so gung-ho about trying this after hearing stories from my friends. But after seeing them displayed raw in person, I couldn't help but rudely make a vomitting noise in front of the cook.

I've put a lot of strange things in my mouth, but these critters belong at the bottom of my shoe, not my belly. And sheep penis? I'd rather eat my own first - at least, I know where mine's been.

For the less adventurous, there are more digestible treats - and you can easily make your way down from one stand to another and fill up on cheap but satisfying skewers - like beef, lamb and fruit. There's also bowls of noodles and dumplings to enjoy.

What does silk worm larvae taste like? I wouldn't know. But supposedly - it tastes like liver - with a hard exterior shell.



5 comments:

Kim said...

So what was Andrew sampling?

AV said...

silkworm larvae. You added a new pic to your profile :) That's Mandela right? In Hong Kong now. Internet is not free - in fact, this city's a bit more pricier than Beijing. I'll be updating a bit less frequently, until the Philippines now :) Hope you have a good week! It's midnight here. hehe. You're probably on your lunch ;)

Unknown said...

omg I'm dying with laughter (silently here ehem..) with your eating your own penis comment.

~m said...

mara, reading your blog: "finally! a post about food! it's about damn time, ab. wait... wait... this is gross!!!!"

AV said...

Mara: At least it's a way to control the pest population :)