Monday, October 27, 2008

Flying Business Class to Hong Kong



After we presented our boarding pass, the Cathay Pacific staff member pulled us to the side. I thought, "Oh crap, what now?" He then informed us that we have been upgraded to business class. It was like we had won the freakin' lottery.

Having never experienced something like this before, Andrew and I were like the Beverly Hillbillies discovering electricity for the first time. We kept taking pictures of our cabin from every angle; the staff probably thought we've never seen a plane before. We were having so much fun that I told Andrew to stop or we were going to get bumped back down to economy.

Some of the perks included:

  • Getting served a glass of orange juice upon boarding and given a hot towel. Andrew joked: "What's this for?"

  • Being addressed as "Mr. Velasco" and "Mr. Thibideau." Staff are required to memorize the names on the seating chart.

  • A great breakfast that began with fresh fruit and pastries, then a bowl of chicken and beef congee with a sesame beef puff pastry. I joked to Andrew that we ate better on the plane than during our stay in Beijing.

  • Food served with real table cloth, plates, glass and cutlery.

  • Best of all, lots of leg room and a reclining seat with foot rest. Andrew easily passed out right after his meal.

    Being the simpletons we are, we were laughing so hard at our unexpected luck that we almost teared at one point. As I was enjoying my fresh fruit, I turned to Andrew: "These grapes have seed in them. Should I complain?"

    Suffice to say, the plane ride just flew by - and looking out the window as the plane dipped below the clouds, Hong Kong greeted us down below.



  • 4 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    god! this blog is so hilarious!!! i can just see the two of you wisecracking your way through to HK.

    Unknown said...

    How the heck can you get upgraded? Did you ask why? Why don't I ever run into luck like that? I'm so jealous! But glad it happened to you two ;)

    Kim said...

    hee hee :) I got upgraded once. Unfortunatley I was only flying to Edmonton :P Flying coach is never the same after you've flown business class!

    AV said...

    Sorry for not updating sooner, as internet here is not readily available or free. :P And I'm also getting tired from our days. LOL. Dunno how/why we got upgraded. I think it might be my uncle - but I have to confirm with him. Talk soon!