Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Food Thread - Part 1: Rediscovering local snacks



I love food and the second I arrived in the Philippines, I knew I was going to gain at least 10 pounds by the time our three week vacation was over. We've been doing a lot of eating - and every meal has rice! But I ain't complaining. I love rediscovering the local cuisine and the local fast food - including Jollibee.

I'll talk more about the local cuisine and fast food later. But for now, I'm going to indulge in some of the local snack foods I've been having fun rediscovering - some of which include:

Banana Q (above) - Street vendors in Cagayan De Oro sell this deep fried banana on a skewer on the streets. It is delicious - and uses a special small but tough banana (Asian banana, haha).



Quezo Ice Cream - I love weird and unusual flavours - be it chips or ice cream. And this Selecta Brand cheese (quezo) ice cream - with real cheddar cheese chunks - was delicious. We only have the Magnolia Brand Filipino ice cream in Canada, which doesn't have quezo.



Polvoron - This Spanish shortbread snack has always been my fave as a kid and I only get to have it when relatives visit from the Philippines. Simple but delicious. The best Polvoron is still from the Goldilocks brand. I'm bringing home an empty suitcase of this stuff.



Chicharon - Pork rinds. Always loved pork rinds as a kid (one of my uncles even had his own pork rind business). No one makes them like the Filipinos do.



White Rabbit - Pa loved this butter toffee snack. The ones we had as a kid were these melt-in-your-mouth white gooey stuff. The one now is different, but still good.



Clover Chips - Sa used to love these chips and so did I. Simple but tasty corn chips.

And of course, there's lots more to indulge in, which I look forward to enjoying and sharing in the coming two weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how am i NOT surprise that you have a blog about food? =P