Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Hello again, Manila

The big difference between my trip back to Manila in 2008 and this time is the degree of shell shock. During my first trip back two years ago, I was really overwhelmed by how different the city I was born in was from what I remembered: a stark contrast between new and old, rich and poor, and of course, the ridiculous traffic. This time, the city didn't feel as foreign, nor did the traffic feel as horrendous. It was just very nice to be back for a visit.

We departed Toronto on Friday, Nov. 12. After a 15-hour flight to Hong Kong, followed by a four-hour wait/flight from Hong Kong to Manila. We arrived on Saturday evening, local time, and were greeted by my cousin at the airport. We then ate at a yummy Japanese restaurant with my uncle and aunt, where I enjoyed the first - of what is sure to be many - glass of green mango shake (below). So refreshingly sour. We then went home and chilled out for a bit before passing out.

We were greeted in the morning with warm beautiful sunshine. The view of the gated community from my uncle's kitchen (above) was just great. Warm weather, getting to wear shorts and basking in sunshine for the next three weeks. I knew then that it was going to be a great vacation - no matter what happens.

No comments: