Thursday, November 18, 2010

Reuniting With Family and Enjoying Great Food and Adventure in the Province of the Golden Friendship



Cagayan De Oro - the first of our five stops in our Philippines trip - is nicknamed the Province of the Golden Friendship. It was my first time back in 21 years and I had limited memories - mainly bits and pieces - of my few visits to Cagayan as a kid.

I really enjoyed our three-day stay here, because it was a wonderful mix of fun adventure, delicious food, and most importantly, catching up with family - many of whom I had not seen in 21 years and even those who I met for the first time.

We were picked up at the airport by my uncles and were whisked off to enjoy a delicious Filipino lunch, where I was reunited with my cousin Isis, who had just visited Canada a few weeks back. I also met my cousin Apao for the first time.

We stayed at my fourth uncle's house, a place I often visited as a kid. We stayed in our late grandma's room. I enjoyed looking at old photo albums, especially of when Ma was younger.

On our first night, we celebrated Andrew's 30th birthday (above). My uncle took us out for another delicious night of Filipino fare and then we enjoyed yummy desserts baked by Isis. As an aside, oh my God, we ate so much in Cagayan. Every meal has rice. Not that I'm complaining, as the food was delicious.



Another highlight of our trip - aside from our many adventures, which I'll post about next - was visiting the cemetary where my maternal grandparents were buried. I vividly remember the last time I was there, in 1987, during my grandma's death. I remembered exactly where I stood and facing Ma, with Sa placing her hands around her shoulder, as she cried. We also got to see my great-grandfather's grave, just a few feet downhill from my grandparents.

On our last night, the entire family came over and my third aunt, who I saw again for the first time in 21 years, made a delicious dinner for us, including diniguan and pansit. My uncles also bought a lechon (roast pig). Cagayan's lechon is well known for its taste; the pig was stuffed with lemongrass. The crispy skin and tender meat were as delicious as I remembered.

Province of golden friendship? I can definitely see how Cagayan has earned that reputation. Every moment Andrew and I were here, we were treated to such amazing hospitality. As we left Cagayan this morning, I told my uncles and cousins how much fun I had and that it definitely won't be another 21 years before I visit again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

next time, we'll have to go together! =)