Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Manila: Final Destination and A Long-Awaited Homecoming

On Wednesday afternoon, we arrived in Manila and my uncle, aunt and three cousins greeted us. We are now in the Highlands at Tagaytay, a resort area located an hour drive outside the city. It is so beautiful and serene here.

As I sit here in the carpeted hallway of our Canadian ski lodge-inspired resort (have to pick up free wifi where I can), at the top of the second floor stairway at 11:30 p.m., it is quiet and there is a beautiful night fog outside. We are at the mountain top, with a spectacular view of the city lights.

The fourth and final leg of our Asia trip - Manila - also happens to be the city where I was born and where I lived until my family immigrated to Canada in April 1989, when I was just 7 years old. I have never been back home since.

Now back home after almost 20 years, I get a taste and glimpse of the city from looking out the window during the car rides. The city is very different from what I remember, yet subconsciously similar.

I am looking very forward to rediscovering this place, my home away from home.

2 comments:

Ryan the Librarian said...

Ab I totally feel your journey back to the PI...I was in the same situation last year. It was really mind blowing - I too left in 1989 and did not come back till last year.

Tagaytay is cool - I think we stayed in a place called Canyon Woods.

Enjoy man.

Anonymous said...

anymore updates? =D